Cozy comfort food – it’s what I need right now! This creamy soup is made from roasted broccoli, real sharp cheddar cheese, and an earthy-sweet foundation of onions, carrots and celery. It’s also enriched (in both the culinary and nutritional sense) with a healthy dose of hemp seeds, which blend into a creamy texture without any need to add actual cream.
Reflecting on my favorite soup recipes, it’s hard not to notice a pattern: there are a lot of creamy soups made with roasted vegetables. Why? First, because roasting makes vegetables delicious! Second, because it reflects an efficiency in my food-prep workflow. If it’s the weekend and I’m heating up my oven to cook dinner or bake anything, I always try to double-down and bake or roast several foods in that single session. It saves time and energy, and it’s always handy to have extra roasted veggies on hand.
When you’re turning your broccoli into a crispy golden-sweet vegetable treat, make more than the soup needs, if you can! You can add it to a batch of pasta salads for packed lunches, or throw it into your stir fries at dinnertime later in the week, or just save some chopped florets to garnish your soup bowl – paired with an extra sprinkle of cheddar cheese and a swirl of fresh broccoli sprout pesto (but of course!)
Fueled By Instant Pot is a member of the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, and earns a commission for purchases made through the following links:
[Instant Pot] Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 medium heads broccoli
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 cups vegetable broth unsalted
- 1 teaspoon salt if your stock is salted, adjust to taste
- 50 grams (1/3 cup) hemp seeds
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 400 F. On a large sheet pan, toss the broccoli with 2 tablespoons olive oil, then sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Roast for about 15-20 minutes, until lightly crispy and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a pressure cooker, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil (with Instant Pot, press “Saute” and keep the default heat setting) then add the chopped onion, carrots and celery. Saute until the vegetables are soft and the onion is translucent. Add the roasted broccoli to the cooker, along with the broth, salt, and hemp seeds.
- Cover the pressure cooker with the lid, ensuring that the valve is in sealed position. Cook under high pressure for 1 minute (with Instant Pot, press ‘Manual’ mode, and adjust time down to 1 minute).
- When the cooking time is complete, allow the pot to de-pressurize naturally for at least 10 minutes before opening the lid. Puree the soup with an immersion blender until smooth, then stir in the grated cheddar cheese, and check and adjust seasoning if needed. Serve hot, finishing each bowl with your favorite toppings (like grated cheddar, roasted broccoli, and broccoli sprout pesto).
Hungry for more creamy roasted veggie soup recipes for your Instant Pot?